There is a common misconception that a chronological resume must always be used!
You should not use Chronological resumes if the following applies to you:
- Frequently change jobs
- Frequent periods of unemployment
- Decided to change careers
The following chronological example demonstrates the correct use of this type of resume.
Free Resumes – Chronological Example
237 Woodlands Drive
Brooklyn, New York
Telephone: 1-222-333-444 Home
Pediatric nurse with specific experience in caring for premature babies. Developed excellent child care and planning skills through internships at Brooklyn Central Hospital. Experienced in NICU standards.
Brooklyn Central Hospital, Brooklyn, New York
Registered Nurse, 06/2003-11/2003
- Worked as an RV in the pediatric section of a 56 bed unit dedicated to looking after seriously ill babies.
- Designated a special rotation involving the NICU and played a key role in the care of young children.
- Played an active role in the execution of health plans for patients involving a range of medical issues including childbirth abnormalities, below average development and under achievement.
University of Yonkers, Yonkers, New York
Student Nurse, 08/2000-03/2002
- Worked under the direction of supervising RN in providing bedside care, documenting care treatments, admitting, discharging and transferring patients.
Pelham Central Hospital, Pelham, New York
Admit Clerk, 04/2003
- Greeted patients and family, helped patients with completing paperwork, explained admittance documents, obtained signatures.
Activities & Honors:
University College of Nursing, Manhattan, New York
- Bachelors Degree – Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- GPA – 3.8 Deans list every semester – Certification obtained.
- 11/02 – Registered Nurse.
- Hospital volunteer 2000 – 2002
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing
Like all resumes, the chronological resume includes contact information and an objective; however where it differs from other resumes is in regards to work experience and education.
The chronological resume also gives the job seeker the opportunity to highlight their educational accomplishments; such as Deans’ List as well as any affiliations that might be relevant to the position for which they are applying.
Chronological Resume Tips
Work experience must be listed with your most recent job first.
Hiring managers are very busy people and frequently have to process hundreds of resumes. They do not have the time and are not interested in reading pages of information about jobs you did many years ago.