Generally a functional resume format may be more suitable when applying for a position as a hair stylist.
The hair stylist resume template below; however, has utilized a chronological format due to the fact that the candidate has such diverse experience.
The candidate has stated in his objective statement he is possibly interested in a management position. The chronological resume format allows the candidate to focus on his diverse experience toward that purpose.
If the candidate wished he could also include other information as well. In this hair stylist resume example, the candidate has included his experience in other projects under the Fashion Shows category.
Other possible categories might include celebrity clients or credits for magazines, videos and television or film productions. Be sure to obtain permission before listing any client names; however.
Sample Hair Stylist Resume
2456 Cerulean Lane
St. Louis, MO 55555
Hair stylist for a high-end salon; possible management position.
The Right Look, St. Louis, MO
HairStylist / Consultant – 2003 to Present
- Establish and maintain 250 personal clients.
- Receive consistent salon referrals for hair services as well as consultation.
The Mane Event, St. Louis, MO
Hair Stylist – 2001 to 2003
- Specialized in dressing hair according to latest style, following patron instructions
- Interviewed patron to determine hairdressing requirements
- Studied facial features to offer suggestions
- Arranged, shaped and trimmed hair to achieve desired effect
- Used fingers, combs, scissors, solutions and other accessories
- Dyed, tinted, bleached, curled and waved hair as required
- Created new styles for patrons
Freelance Hair Stylist – 1998 to 2001
- Provide styling and grooming services to numerous models and actors as well as private patrons.
The Cottage Spa, St. Louis, MO
Head Hair Stylist – 1995 to 1998
- Responsibilities include hair styling ( chemical texturing, color, weaving, cutting edge styles ) as well as spa services such as deep conditioning treatments, facials and herbal wraps.
- Fashion Shows
St. Louis Spring Fling Fashion Show – 2003
Joanna Murphy – Director
- Coordinated hair designs with each costume, created all hairstyles and managed two assistants.
- Missouri License of Cosmetology – Current
Hair Stylist Resume Tips
One of the greatest strengths a person working in any of the professions related to the beauty industry, is to have good references.
It is common knowledge that hair stylists build a list of regular and loyal clients that will follow them to whatever salon they move to.