Only under select conditions should a functional resume format be utilized.
A new graduate or an individual returning to the field might consider using a functional resume format instead.
The medical resume example below is written using a chronological resume format.
The sample medical assistant resume above allows the job applicant to focus on strong professional experience and education.
Keep in mind the functional resume focuses on skills; however, does not typically demonstrate strong continuous work experience.
Resume Sample For Medical Jobs
2359 Honeycut Circle
Kenosha, WI 55555
Challenging position as a medical assistant in a busy medical office
Dr. William Sutton – Kenosha, WI
Medical Assistant, Sep 2003 to Present
- Assist in the examination and treatment of patients
- Measure vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height
- Record information on charts
- Prepare treatment rooms for examination of patients
- Position instruments and equipment
- Hand instruments and materials to doctor as directed
Kenosha Medical Clinic – Kenosha, WI
Medical Assistant, 2001 to 2003
- Cleaned and sterilized instruments
- Inventoried and ordered medical supplies and materials
- Gave injections and treatments
- Performed routine laboratory tests
- Scheduled appointments
- Kenosha Community College
- Medical Assisting Program – graduate
Medical Resume Tips
The job applicant could also list other sections of interest on this resume format such as notable accomplishments, honors and awards.
Community activities would also be particularly appropriate, considering the field.