There are some instances; however, when a functional resume format performs best.
This is the case when making the transition from a military to civilian career. The functional resume format allows the transitioning military career professional to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Avoidance of military jargon
- Focus on transferable skills
- Minimization of acronyms
- Focus on skills in demand in civilian employment
The following sample military resume is based on the functional resume format and clearly demonstrates the above principles.
Resume Sample For Military Jobs
1215 Ocean Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 77550
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
15+ years experience in office administration, operations and database management.
AREAS OF STRENGTH
- Enhanced individual and professional growth of soldiers under my command
- Coordinate daily with personnel for timely processing of information and services
- Solid experience in cost containment
- Demonstrated effectiveness in purchasing and inventory control
- Supervised 20 person staff, enforcing and insuring compliance with policies and procedures
- Trained and evaluated staff, providing feedback for performance evaluations
- Gathered and disseminated information to generate status reports
- Organized schedules to enhance time efficiency
- Negotiated contract renewals
- Implemented new accounting system, resulting in minimized work time
- Processed more than 5,000 transactions
- Validated and reconciled 20 different accounts
- Utilized state of the art technology to track accounts, inventories and purchases
- U.S.Army, Los Alamitos, CA Sergeant 1991-2006
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- U.S. Army Basic Training 1991
- UCLA; General Studies 1989-1990
Military Resume Tips
The functional format resume features the same basic information as the chronological resume such as contact information and objective.