There is a common misconception that a chronological resume must always be used!
When creating winning resumes for nursing positions, job seekers should remember to create a goal-precise, focused and specific resume. A Functional nursing resume is best for nurses who are making lateral career moves because they focus on skills.
Nurses, however; who are looking towards climbing the healthcare ladder should consider a chronological nursing resume because they show a nurse’s progression. You should not use Chronological resumes if the following applies to you …
- Frequently change jobs
- Frequent periods of unemployment
- Decided to change careers
The following sample nursing resume is based on the chronological resume and clearly demonstrates the above principles.
Resume Sample For Nursing
841 Chimney Hill, Queens, New York
Telephone: 1-854-758-921 Home
Pediatric nurse with specific experience in caring for premature babies. Developed excellent child care and planning skills through internships at Brooklyn Central Hospital. Experienced in NICU standards.
Queens Central Hospital, Queens, New York – 07/2004 – 12/2004
- Worked as an RV in the pediatric section of a 47 bed unit dedicated to looking after seriously ill infants
- Designated a special rotation involving the NICU and played a vital role in the care of young children
- Played a major role in the execution of health plans for patients involving a range of medical issues including childbirth abnormalities, below average development and under achievement
University of Mamaroneck, Mamaroneck, NY – 05/2003 – 05/2004
- Worked under the direction of supervising RN in providing bedside care
- Documenting care treatments
- Admitting, discharging and transferring patients
Harrison Central Hospital, Harrison, NY – 09/2001 – 04/2003
- Greeted patients and family
- Helped patients with completing documentation
- Explained admittance documents, obtained signatures
- 05/2004 University College of Nursing, New Rochelle, NY
- Bachelors Degree – Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- GPA – 3.8 Deans list every semester – Certification obtained
- 12/03 – Registered Nurse
ACTIVITIES & HONORS
- Hospital volunteer 2001 – 2003
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing
Nursing Resume Tips
Like all resumes, the chronological resume includes contact information and an objective.
However where it differs from other resumes is in regards to work experience and education.