Candidates with little experience and those who are just completing an apprenticeship program may wish to use a functional resume format, which focuses on skills.
The plumbers resume example below is written using a chronological resume format due to the extensive experience of the applicant.
A combination resume format would also be appropriate in either situation.
Note the applicant begins with a strong objective statement in the sample plumbers resume above, specifying the region in which he prefers to work.
He also includes a series of qualifications at the top of his resume to provide him with a competitive edge.
Resume Sample For Plumbers
3807 Winding Way
Pittsburgh, PA 55555
Plumber with an established plumbing or construction company on the East Coast.
- Over 12 years of professional experience in plumbing.
- During apprenticeship, completed courses on drafting, blueprint reading, safety and local plumbing codes and regulations.
- Developed reputation for quality work and received numerous referrals.
Smith Plumbing, Pittsburgh, PA
Plumber – May 1999 to Present
- Assembled, installed and repaired pipes, fittings and fixtures of heating, water and drainage systems.
- Studied building plans and working drawings to determine work aids required and sequence of installations.
- Inspected structure for obstructions to be avoided.
- Cut openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings.
- Cut and threaded pipes, bent pipe to required angle and joined pipes.
- Filled pipe systems with water and air and read pressure gauges to determine whether systems were leaking.
- Installed and repaired plumbing fixtures, such as sinks, commodes, bathtubs, water heaters, hot water tanks, garbage disposal units, dishwashers and water softeners.
- Ordered supplies and maintained detailed job records.
- Coordinated with accountant regarding ledgers, payroll and taxes.
- Trained apprentices and supervised an office worker.
Whitman Plumbing, Trenton, NJ
Plumbers Apprentice – 1993 to 1999
- Learned to use tools of the trade, such as pipe cutters, cutting torches and pipe-threading and pipe-bending machines.
- Helped assemble, install and repair pipes, fittings and plumbing fixtures.
- Studied building plans and working drawings.
- As the apprenticeship progressed, independently performed all functions of a certified and licensed plumber.
Apprenticeship Program, Trenton, NJ
- Certificate of Completion
This 5-year program is administered by the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe fitting Industry of the United States and Canada.
Thomas Jefferson High School, Trenton, NJ
- High School Diploma
- Licensed as a plumber by the State of Pennsylvania and the State of New Jersey.
Plumbers Resume Tips
Keep in mind it is always a good idea to include licensure information when applying for any type of position in the construction industry.
In this case the applicant has specified that he holds a license for two states.