This style of resume format focuses on work experience and education, with less focus on skills.
Only under the following circumstances should a functional resume be used when applying for a professional position:
- Changing careers
- Frequently change jobs
- Frequent periods of unemployment
If you feel that it is necessary to focus on both work experience as well as skills, you may use a combination of the chronological resume format and the functional resume format.
The following sample professional resume is based on these principles.
Resume Sample For Professionals
3349 Covington Avenue
New Haven, CT 55555
- Executive assistant with a wide range of administrative skills capable of consistently producing top quality work.
- Take charge style with the ability to meet deadlines and work in a fast paced environment.
- Work well independently or as part of a team. Skilled in:
- Executive Support
- Reporting & Documentation
- Cost Reduction
- Project Management
- Contract Management
- Phone Etiquette
- Travel Arranging
- Bachelor of Arts — Business Administration
AMES CORPORATION, New Haven,CT 1999 to Present
- Serve as executive assistant to Vice President of Sales.
- Accountabilities include leading new employee orientation and training temporary secretaries for the department.
- Also responsible for preparing and maintaining departmental information such as expense reports and time sheets.
- Scheduled meetings for Vice President with various department heads and other corporate executives, including IBM
- Promoted from secretarial position in 1998 for excellent work performance
- Recruit, screen and interview job candidates
- Coordinate purchase of new office equipment
Fenton & Fenton, New Haven, CT 1994 to 1997
- Managed the secretarial pool, consisting of 30 staff members, in the marketing division while providing administrative support for two department executives.
- Directed all aspects of the supervised secretarial staff’s workload, including distribution and monitoring of workload assignments.
- Prepared and audited time sheets
- Recruited, screened and interviewed job candidates
- Scheduled and maintained calendar of appointments
- Arranged travel itineraries
- Responsible for inventory management
- Coordinate daily correspondence, file management and database administration
- Maintained computer equipment
Professional Resume Tips
A combination resume format includes contact information as well as an objective; focusing on the best features of both the chronological and functional resume formats.
The combination professional resume gives the job seeker the opportunity to highlight their skills as well as their strong work experience and education.