This type of resume format focuses on experience and education, unlike the functional format, which focuses on skills.
Only in situations such as changing careers or when an applicant has held a large number of jobs within as short time frame would a functional resume be appropriate.
The purchasing agent resume example below utilizes a chronological resume format.
Note the applicant’s use of a highlights of qualifications section at the beginning of the purchasing agent resume template listed below.
This section focuses the employer’s attention on the applicant’s strongest skills and abilities.
If you have a shortage of relevant experience then a good tactic is to focus on your skills as shown in the functional student resume.
Resume Sample For Purchasing Agents
2900 S. Crenshaw Lane
Detroit, MI 55555
Challenging position as a purchasing agent in a growth oriented environment
Highlights of Qualifications
- Strong ability to delegate, prioritize and manage
- Top performance achiever
- Proven ability to streamline operations
Wimberley, Inc. – Detroit, MI
Purchasing Agent, 2000 to Present
- Purchase items necessary for day to day business operations
- Calculate monthly and yearly material / equipment requirements
- Negotiate contracts with suppliers
- Maintain open-order status reports
- Return defective inventory products
Larkspur, Inc. – Detroit, MI
Purchasing Agent, 1996 to 2000
- Interacted with sales and marketing departments
- Streamlined purchasing and shipping process to achieve annual savings of $1.5 million
- Coordinate material planning
- Responsible for overseeing all order processing and scheduling
- Oversaw inventory control
Truby, Inc – Detroit, MI
Purchasing Agent, 1994 to 1996
- Handled purchasing for 12 retail outlets in Michigan
- Developed computerized tracking system to streamline receiving, packaging and shipping
- Worked with vendors to maintain pricing
- Responsible for annual purchases of $1 million in equipment
- University of Michigan
- B.A. Business Administration
Purchasing Agent Resume Tips
Job applicants may also wish to include other information such as notable accomplishments and honors.
It can also be beneficial to include targeted accomplishments, such as dollar amounts for which the applicant is responsible.