Candidates with little experience and those who are just completing a training program may wish to use a functional resume format, which focuses on skills.
The security guard resume template below is written using a chronological resume format due to the extensive experience of the applicant.
A combination resume format would also be appropriate in either situation.
Note the applicant begins with a strong objective statement in the sample security guard resume above.
He also includes a series of qualifications at the top of his resume to provide him with a competitive edge.
Resume Sample For Security Guards
3904 Winding Way
Trenton, NJ 55555
Security guard position with an established company.
- Over 5 years of professional experience in guarding and security work.
- Developed reputation for quality work and received numerous referrals.
- Proficient in operating security systems including CCTVs, two-way radios, two-way / convex wall mirrors.
Vanderbilt Equipment Company – Pittsburgh, PA
Security Guard, May 2004 to Present
- Guarded industrial and commercial properties against fire, theft, vandalism and illegal entries.
- Patrolled, periodically, buildings and grounds of industrial plant and commercial establishment, docks and work sites.
- Examined doors, windows and gates to ensure that they were secure.
- Warned violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking and carrying forbidden articles.
- Apprehended violators.
- Inspected equipment and machinery to ascertain if tampering had occurred.
Cisco Manufacturing Plant – Trenton, NJ
Night Security Guard, 2002 to 2004
- Watched for and reported irregularities, such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes and security doors left unlocked.
- Sounded alarm and called police and fire department by telephone in case of fire and presence of unauthorized persons.
- Registered at watch stations to record time of inspection trips.
- Recorded data, such as property damage, unusual occurrences and the malfunctioning of machinery and equipment.
- Performed janitorial duties and set thermostatic controls to maintain specified temperature in buildings and cold storage rooms.
- Deputized to arrest trespassers.
- Regulated vehicle and pedestrian traffic at plant entrance to maintain orderly flow.
- Patrolled site with guard dog on leash.
- Watched for fires
White Plains Mall – Trenton, NJ
Night Security Guard, 2000 to 2002
- Observed departing personnel to guard against the theft of company property.
- Permitted authorized persons to enter property.
- Awarded Certificate of Achievement (8/2002) for identifying and reporting internal theft, saving the company tens of thousands of dollars.
- Apprehended numerous shop lifters by using surveillance systems and recognizing suspicious behavior.
- Trenton Community College
- Associate of Arts – Criminal Justice
- Report Writing
- Risk Analysis
- CPR, First Aid
- Fire Protection
- Arrest Procedures
- Crime Prevention
- CCTV Surveillance
- Public Relations
- Crisis Intervention
Security Guard Resume Tips
Keep in mind it is always a good idea to include special training information when applying for any type of position in the security industry.